Headaches are, sadly, fairly common occurrences for most people. Generally, we take an aspirin or ibuprofen and it goes away. But when is it time to seek treatment for a headache?
Plan a trip to your doctor if:
- your headaches require you to take pain medication frequently or in high doses;
- your headaches are getting progressively worse over time;
- your headache prevents you from performing your usual daily activities.
Go to the emergency room right away if:
- your headaches are accompanied by seizures, weakness, blurred vision, difficulty with speech or other neurological problems;
- you feel acute, severe pain, particularly with sudden onset;
- your headache is accompanied by severe nausea;
- your headache is the result or an injury, such as a car crash or fall.